• A letter can be sent after your second unsuccessful attempt to repair the same problem or if the defects still exist after 20 cumulative days out of service.
• Your letter must be sent by certified mail-return receipt requested.
• It must be sent before the odometer hits 18,000 miles or you own the car for two years, whichever occurs first.
• Address the letter to the manufacturer.
• Be sure to include your name, address and telephone number.
If, after contacting the manufacturer, your problem(s) still exist, you should send the Lemon Law Unit and request an application for Lemon Law Dispute Resolution.
This is a sample letter to the manufacturer. You must send this letter certified mail, return receipt requested.
To Whom It May Concern:
I believe that my (passenger vehicle/motorcycle) is a "lemon" under the New Jersey Lemon Law (N.J.S.A. 56:12-29 to 56:12-49). I am hereby making a written demand for relief under the Lemon Law.
I (purchased/leased) a (make, model, year of vehicle and vehicle identification number) on (date) from (name of dealership) in (city, state).
Since I bought the vehicle, I have had to return it to the dealership a total of (total number of times the vehicle was returned to an authorized dealer for repairs) times. My vehicle has been out of service for repairs for a total of (total number of calendar days the vehicle has been out of service being repaired) calendar days. The current mileage on my vehicle is (current odometer reading).
My vehicle has been in (name of authorized dealership) on the following days for repair of the following defects:
(date in & date out) (List problems)
I am having the following problems with my vehicle at this time: (list all of the vehicle’s current problems).
Since these defects substantially impair the use, value, or safety of my vehicle, I am hereby allowing you one final opportunity to repair my vehicle. If these repairs are not made within ten calendar days of receipt of this letter, I am entitled to a replacement vehicle acceptable to me or a refund calculated in accordance with the Lemon Law.
I look forward to hearing from you soon. You can reach me during the day at __-__-__ and in the evening at __-__-__.