Ocean County Press Release
Residents Impacted by Hurricane Sandy May Be Eligible for Emergency Food Assistance
RESIDENTS IMPACTED by Hurricane Sandy may be eligible for federal emergency food assistance under a federal program set to begin next week.
The Disaster Supplemental Assistance Program, or D-SNAP, will begin taking applications from eligible hurricane survivors at four locations in Ocean County beginning Monday, November 26.
"This is an important opportunity for low-income families who do not already qualify for the normal SNAP program," said Freeholder Director Gerry P. Little. "I encourage anyone who meets the guidelines to take advantage of this emergency service."
According to the state Department of Human Services, applicants must provide pay stub and bank statements for the 30 days between October 28 and November 26.
Under the guidelines, a family of one has an income limit of $2,268 with an available benefit of $200; a family of two has a $2,965 limit with a benefit of $367; a family of three must earn less than $3,416 and will receive a benefit of $526 and a family of four's income limit is $4,034 with a benefit of $668.
Applicants should also provide receipts that show more than $100 spent on disaster-related expenses between October 28 and November 26. The cost of replacing food cannot be included, but restaurant expenses are allowed.
Other related expenses include:
• Temporary shelter in a motel
• Home/business repairs
• Evacuation expenses
• Disaster clean up
• Disaster-related vehicle repairs
• Gasoline for a generator
• Replacement of personal items, such as clothing, appliances, tools and educational materials.
D-Snap applicants must present their documentation at any of four sites that will open in the county on Monday, November 26.
The sites are:
• The Toms River Branch of the Ocean County Library, Mancini Hall, 101 Washington Street, Tome River.
• Ocean County College, The College Bookstore, Room 109 A & B, One College Drive, Parking Lot #2.
• The Brick Branch of the Ocean County Library, 301 Chambersbridge Road
• Ocean County Southern Service Center, 179 South Main Street, Manahawkin.
All four centers will be open from 8 am to 8 pm from November 26 thru November 30 and on December 3. The centers will be open from 8 am to 5 pm on December 4 only.
Applications will be taken alphabetically at all sites:
• Last names beginning A-G on Nov. 26 and 27.
• Last names H-P on Nov. 28 and 29.
• Last names Q-Z on Nov. 30 and Dec. 3
• All last names (A-Z) on Dec. 4.
New Jersey residents who already receive SNAP aid do not need to apply as they will receive an automatic 30 percent adjustment.