Ocean County Press Release
TOMS RIVER – Ocean County residents are being encouraged to make recycling their Christmas trees part of their holiday cleanup.
"For many years now we have accepted discarded Christmas trees for recycling at several of our county parks," said Ocean County Freeholder Director Virginia E. Haines, who serves as Chairwoman to the Ocean County Department of Parks and Recreation. "I want to remind everyone that it is important to recycle all year long, but especially during the busy holiday season too."
Last year, the Ocean County Parks Department collected almost 1,400 trees that were turned into woodchips and used in landscaping projects throughout the different facilities. In the past, recycled trees have also been used to help municipalities replenish the dunes on the beach as well.
Christmas trees can be dropped off at the following Ocean County park locations from Dec. 26 through Jan. 31:
• Cattus Island County Park, 1170 Cattus Island Boulevard, Toms River Township
• Cloverdale Farm County Park, 34 Cloverdale Road, Barnegat Township
• Wells Mills County Park, 905 Route 532, Ocean Township
• Ocean County Park, 659 Ocean Avenue, Lakewood Township
• Beaver Dam County Park, 3430 Bridge Avenue, Point Pleasant
• Jakes Branch County Park, 1100 Double Trouble Road, Beachwood
• Mill Creek County Park, 11 Chelsea Avenue, Berkeley Township
• Enos Pond County Park, 330 East Lacey Road, Forked River
• Robert J. Miller Airpark, 901 Route 530, Berkeley Township
• Freedom Fields County Park, 1160 Route 539, Little Egg Harbor Township
• Patriots County Park, 485 Bowman Road, Jackson Township
• Stanley H."Tip" Seaman County Park, 120 Lakeside Drive, Tuckerton
• A. Paul King County Park, 2 W. Bay Avenue, Stafford Township
• Ocean County Golf Course at Atlantis, 261 Country Club Boulevard, Little Egg Harbor Township
• Ocean County Golf Course at Forge Pond, 301 Chambers Bridge Avenue, Brick Township
Christmas trees are also accepted at both the Northern and Southern Recycling Centers year-round during regular business hours (7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday). The Ocean County Southern Recycling Center is located at 379 Haywood Road, Manahawkin. The Ocean County Northern Recycling Center is located at 601 New Hampshire Ave., Lakewood.
"We make every effort to make these programs convenient and accessible because recycling really does make a difference," said Ocean County Freeholder Gary Quinn, who serves as liaison to the recycling program. "I commend the numerous residents that embrace recycling as part of their daily lives and encourage everyone to participate."