Department of Corrections
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES FOR YEAR 2013
The following Departmental Goals and Objectives have been identified by the Executive Management Team for the upcoming year:
GOAL: TO MAINTAIN AND OPERATE A SAFE, SECURE AND CONSTITUTIONAL FACILITY THAT IS IN COMPLIANCE WITH STATE ADMINISTRATIVE CODE AND NATIONAL STANDARDS
1. To maintain a Departmental Standards Compliance Unit
2. To be compliant with New Jersey Administrative Code 10A:31 et al and all mandatory directives of the State of New Jersey.
3. To maintain NCCHC Accreditation
4. To maintain a performance team to formally review and revise when needed all of the Department’s Policy and Procedures
5. To maintain an Internal Audit process
6. To be compliant with all New Jersey Statutory and Regulatory requirements relative to inmate DNA collections and processing
7. To be compliant with all New Jersey Statutory and Regulatory requirements relative to the notification of crime victims
GOAL: TO MAINTAIN A SAFE, SECURE AND SANITARY ENVIRONMENT WITHIN THE FACILITY
1. To continue a weekend day reporting program wherein inmates sentenced by both Municipal Courts and the Superior Court will work under supervision in the community
2. To develop detailed sanitation and housekeeping plan that addresses both the Justice Complex and New Jail.
3. To continue to maintain areas of supervisory responsibility and maintain inmate work crews that relate to facility sanitation and maintenance
4. To increase sworn officer staffing and support personnel staffing to meet security needs of the Department with regard to the opening of the new correctional facility.
5. To maintain the inmate video court program with municipal, county, state jurisdictions
6. To institute and operate an inmate video visitation system.
GOAL: TO MAINTAIN FISCALLY SOUND MANAGEMENT PRACTICES
1. To enhance the Departments internal record keeping and financial procedures
2. Explore additional revenue sources (i.e. grants/reimbursements)
3. To institute any recommendations in the annual county auditor’s report
4. To continue the effort to efficiently manage overtime
5. To institute and operate a paperless Inmate Commissary Ordering System.
GOAL: PROVIDE PROFESSIONAL TRAINING THAT COMPLIES WITH STATE CODE AND ACA STANDARDS
1. To provide monthly two hour Mandatory Superior Officer Training
2. To provide the NJ State DOC 40 hour training requirement – 4 hour per month for 10 months for Officers
3. To provide the 40 hours of training for civilian employees
4. To provide additional supplemental professional training as appropriate
5. To maintain a Field Training Officer (FTO) program that will provide a minimum of 12 hours of in-service training per officer annually
6. To support and encourage personnel within the Department to acquire advanced certifications (i.e. Certified Jail Manager, Certified Healthcare Professional) and college degrees related to the fields of corrections and governmental service
7. To maintain New Jersey Office of Emergency Management Training
8. To provide basic training for 15-30 correction officers to provide additional staff for the Safe and Efficient Operation of the 2011 Jail.
9. To provide refresher training to every officer within the Department in the “Direct Supervision of Inmates” and in the operations of the new correctional facility
10. To maintain a full time Staff Development Unit in accordance with 10A:31 et seq.
GOAL : DEVELOPMENT OF AN INTEGRATED INFORMATION SYSTEM THAT NETWORKS ALL OF THE DEPARTMENT’S SECURITY AND MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEMS
1. To maintain and enhance the local area network management information system to all Department terminals in an effort to increase operational efficiency
2. To maintain and improve the inmate video imaging system that will interface with the NJ State County Corrections System (CCIS)
3. To maintain a “Live Scan” fingerprint system that will interface with the New Jersey County Corrections System (CCIS)
4. To maintain the Victim Notification Program (vines) in accordance with state statute and mandates
5. To maintain the facility’s integrated security system
GOAL: CONTINUE THE DEPARTMENT’S COMMUNITY RELATIONS PROGRAM
1. To continue the IGGY & Sparkles Internet Safety Program within the elementary schools.
2. To maintain the Sam the Tuna environmental education program within the elementary schools to include an interactive robot presentation
3. To continue the community inmate work program within the county’s various municipalities at its current level
4. To maintain the Clean Communities Program throughout the county at current work levels.
5. To continue educational tours of the facility as requested
6. To re-establish participation at the annual County Fair
7. To maintain the Department’s Color/Honor Guard and its participation in community events.
GOAL: EMPLOYEE RECOGNITION
1. To continue the Department’s ‘Employee Recognition Program
2. To continue to recognize promotions through a formal presentation.
GOAL: APPLICATION OF “TEAM MANAGEMENT” PRINCIPALS AND THE UTILIZATION OF “HIGH PERFORMANCE TEAMS” THROUGHOUT THE ORGANIZATION
1. To continue the “Team” concept by training all Departmental Supervisors in the Team Management philosophy in order to continue the Team Management approach into the mid-management levels of the organization
2. To maintain High Performance Teams for projects such as policy and procedure review and Mission Statement revision, re-accreditations and internal auditing procedures
3. To enhance the Department’s mentoring program for supervisory personnel in preparation for filling experiential voids created by employee retirements.
4. To institute quarterly reviews of the Department’s stated Goals & Objectives to insure that they are actively pursued
Established December 4, 2012
Copyright © 2005 Ocean County Department of Corrections
Last modified: 02/08/13