Who was the first European explorer known to have set foot on Ocean County soil and subsequently sailed into the Toms River?
  a)  Christopher Columbus

Cornelius Hendrickson [Captain Hendrickson, representing an association of merchants from Amsterdam and Hoorn (the Netherlands), skippered the Onrust, one of five vessels exploring the New England and Mid-Atlantic Coast in 1614 for trading opportunities.]

c) Henry Hudson
2) Who is rumored to have buried treasure on Money Island?
  a)  Jean Lafitte
b)  Edward Teach (Blackbeard)

William Kidd [After capturing the British brig Starlight in 1697, Captain Kidd and his pirate crew transferred the ship's valuables to their sloop and then to a longboat.  They sailed up the Toms River to a small island where they buried the "treasure."]

3) When did the New Jersey State Legislature create Ocean County by subdividing Monmouth County?
  a)  January 15, 1850
b)  February 15, 1850 [The state's twentieth county was chartered after the bill was passed by a one-vote margin on its third reading in the Senate and signed by Governor Daniel Haines.]
c) February 15, 1860
4) Who was a founding father of Ocean County?
  a)  Joseph Brick
b)  Lord John Berkeley

Joel Haywood [A Methodist minister and political leader from West Creek in Stafford Township, who initiated a request to the State Legislature in 1849 to set off the lower section of Monmouth County to form a new county.  Haywood nurtured the bill through the General Assembly and the Senate.]


5) What was the population of Ocean County in 1850?
  a)  10,032 [Ocean County consisted of six townships then (Brick, Dover, Jackson, Plumsted, Stafford, and union - now known as Barnegat) with a total population just over 10,000 inhabitants.]
b)  1,032
c) 100,032
6) What is one of the early names for Tuckerton?
  a)  End Of The Shore
b)  Middle of the Shore [Known at various times before 1798 as Clamtown, Fishtown, and Middle of the Shore, it was renamed Tuckerton for prominent hotel owner, merchant, and first postmaster, Ebenezer Tucker.]
c) Port-Town
7) Among the notable guests who visited Laurel House in 1884 were William Cullen Bryant, Oliver Wendell Holmes, and President Grover Cleveland and his family.  Where was Laurel House located? 
  a) Tuckerton
b)  Beach Haven

Lakewood [Formerly known as Bricksburg, Lakewood was known for its mild and healthy climate and became a well-known resort community for the rich and famous during the late 19th century.]

8) Elizabeth Lee of Plumsted became famous for her jams and jellies made from what fruit?

Cranberries [In 1920, Elizabeth Lee experimented with recipes for preparing cranberries.  Within a decade, she became a successful manager and stockholder in the Massachusetts Cranberry Canneries, forerunner of Ocean Spray.  New Jersey is ranked third in the U.S.A for cranberry production.]


b)  Blueberries
c) Raspberries
9) The graves of two African American brothers, who fought in the Civil War, are located in Zoar Cemetery, New Egypt (Plumsted Township),  What are their names?   
  a)  Joseph and William Binn [Another African American Civil War veteran, Thomas Lewis, is buried in Riverside Cemetery, Toms River (Dover Township).]
b)  Edward and Thomas Finn
c) Frederick and George Winn
10)   What United States Army general was in charge of the construction of Barnegat Lighthouse by the Army Corps of Engineers?
  a)  General Ulysses S. Grant
b)  General Robert E. Lee

General George G. Meade [Lt. Gen. Meade, a graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point and later commander of the Union Army of the Potomac at Gettysburg during the Civil War, was the chief engineer who supervised the construction and completion of "Old Barney" in 1858.]


11) In what town was the earliest known Ocean County (then Monmouth County) one-room schoolhouse located?
  a)  Dover Township
b)  Plumsted Township [The Marl Ridge Schoolhouse was built in 1810 in what is now Plumsted Township, then located in Monmouth County.  Later, in the 1820s, schools were built in the Cedar Grove section of Dover Township, and the Greenville section of Lake Township.]
c) Stafford Township
12) What is the municipality on Long Beach Island whose name is associated with one of the many maritime disasters that occurred along the Ocean County coast?
  a)  Barnegat Light
b)  Surf City
c) Ship Bottom [According to legend, an 1817 shipwreck off the Long Beach Island coastline during a fierce storm, created the name.  A wrecked ship was washed ashore with its hull bottom up halfway on the beach.  It is said that a wealthy Tuckerton Quaker, Stephen Willets, discovered the wreck and rescued its one surviving victim, described in most accounts as a beautiful young Spanish-speaking woman.]
13) What happened at the Toms River Block house on March 24, 1782?  
  a) It was the site of the capture of the infamous renegade Pine Robber John Bacon by Captain Joshua Huddy and his militia.

It was the site of a skirmish between a loyalist militia of twenty-five men commanded by Captain Joshua Huddy.  [The BLock House was attacked by British troops, including forty loyalist renegades.  The British torched nearly every building in the village of Toms River.  Although Huddy escaped, he was later captured, placed in irons, held as a prisoner of war, and hanged without trial.  The incident resulted in an international crisis almost scuttling the treaty of peace, ending the ASmerican Revolutionary War.]


c)  Nothing happened there.
14) Who invented the life-car?
  a)  William Newell
b)  Hugh McLellan
c) Joseph Francis [Francis, a resident of Toms River, invented the Francis Life-car in 1843, a ten-foot long corrugated metal boat with an enclosed chamber that rescued shipwreck victims by setting up a life line over the surf from the distressed ship to the shore.  By 1854, the Francis Life-car had saved more than 2,100 people.]
15) Who was the founder of the United States Life Saving Service, precursor of the United States Coast Guard?
  a) William Newell [ Newell, a member of the House of Representatives, introduced federal legislation "to provide surfboats, rockets, carronades and other necessary equipment for the better protection of life and property from shipwrecks on the coast of New Jersey between Sandy Hook and little Egg Harbor, etc."  When the bill became law on August 14, 1848, the Life Saving Service was created.  Newell often visited Long Beach Island as a youth and was witness to the treachery of the sea upon ships, crew, and passengers.  He studied medicine with his uncle, who was a physician in Manahawkin, and later was licensed to practice medicine himself.  He also became governor of New Jersey and was elected the state of Washington's first governor.]
b)  Hugh McLellan
c) Joseph Francis