Barnegat Light Borough - Barnegat Lighthouse

Previous | Home | Next



Barnegat Light Borough - Barnegat Lighthouse

From 1834 to 1943, the Barnegat Lighthouse, "Old Barney," warned ships of dangerous shoals and sandbars in Barnegat Inlet. The first lighthouse was built in 1834 but was lost to the sea. The second and present lighthouse was constructed under the direction of Civil War General George Meade in 1858. In 1957, "Old Barney" became a part of Barnegat Lighthouse State Park. It is an Ocean County historic landmark.