Island Heights Borough - John Wanamaker CampPrevious | Home | Next
Island Heights Borough - John Wanamaker Camp
The landmark Wanamaker Camp on Barnegat Bay
in Island Heights was built around the turn of the twentieth century by
the Philadelphia department store mogul John Wanamaker to provide a summer
camp for the young employees of his store. For nearly half a century,
John Wanamaker Commercial University, with its military drills, band and
minstrel shows, was a popular source of entertainment for the local people.
The Presbyterian Synod of New Jersey purchased the property in 1949 and
for twenty-three years, used it also as an organized co-educational summer
camp for young people. Today, the camp site is used for municipal purposes.