Little Egg Harbor Township -Tuckerton Radio StationPrevious | Home | Next
Little Egg Harbor Township -Tuckerton Radio Station
Before World War 1, the fastest way of communicating
with Europe was by the use of an 820-foot radio relay station tower on
Osborn's Island in Little Egg Harbor Township. Messages could be sent
to a similar tower in Hanover, Germany. At that time, the tower was the
eighth tallest structure in the world. Legend has it that the message,
"Get the Lucy," which led to the Germans sinking the passenger
ship Lusitania during World War 1, was picked up by the station. At war's
end, the tower was no longer needed and was eventually demolished in 1955.
Today there is a road, called Radio Road, leading to Mystic Island where
the tower once stood.