Seaside Park Borough - Life Saving StationPrevious | Home | Next
Seaside Park Borough - Life Saving Station
Life Saving Stations were built every three
miles along the New Jersey coast. By 1900, there were forty-two stations.
Tbe station in Seaside Park was called the Toms River Station No. 109.
It had a tower where men could look out to sea and identify ships that
were in trouble. When the Life Saving Service was formed, it was made
up of volunteers. In 1915, it joined with the Revenue Cutter Service to
form the United States Coast Guard. Station No. 109 was no longer needed
and, in 1966, was purchased by the Borough of Seaside Park to be used