Toms River - Ocean County CourthousePrevious | Home | Next
Toms River - Ocean County Courthouse
Six thousand bricks were brought by schooner
from New York to the docks at Water Street in Toms River to be used in
the construction of the Ocean County Courthouse. The bricks and the land
were donated by Joseph Coward in 1850. By September 1851, the building
was completed. Twelve men from the six townships of the county were chosen
to be members of the first Board of Chosen Freeholders.