Tuckerton Borough - Clamtown Sailcar

Previous | Home | Next



Tuckerton Borough - Clamtown Sailcar

The Clamtown sailcar was a land-going "ship" made ffom a flat railroad car rigged with a mast and sail. It sped along abandoned railroad track carrying clams, oysters, and other seafood ffom Barnegat Bay to the main railroad line in Tuckerton. Tuckerton was originally called Clamtown when it was settled in 1698. The name was later changed to Tuckerton in honor of Ebenezer Tucker, a local resident and congressman.